- Report Published -
|Rail Passenger Service|
|Department of Rail and Public Transportation|
|Chapter 966, Section 617.B of the 1994 Virginia Acts of Assembly states that $250,000 shall be allocated to the Department of Rail and Public Transportation to conduct a feasibility study for the potential implementation of rail passenger service between Washington, D.C. and Bristol, and/or between Richmond and Bristol.|
The Virginia Department of Rail and Public Transportation (DRPT) conducted this study during 1995. The purpose of this study was to:
1. Identify best routes to provide service.
2. Develop several different scenarios of service levels.
3. Project annual ridership for each of the proposed service scenarios.
4. Estimate capital costs, operating costs and revenues for each service scenario.
5. Determine which (if any) of the proposed service scenarios are economically feasible.
6. Recommend the most feasible alternative for additional study.
7. Identify issues and concerns which will require additional detailed analysis.