- Report Published -
|Report Document No. 3|
PUBLICATION YEAR 2014
|State Board for Community Colleges 2013 Executive Summary of Activities|
|Virginia Community College System|
We give everyone the opportunity to learn and develop the right skills so lives and communities are strengthened.
Established in 1966, in accordance with an act of the General Assembly, the State Board shall establish, control, administer and supervise all community colleges established by the state in selected communities throughout the Commonwealth of Virginia. The community college program shall be designed to serve the educational needs of qualified post-high school age youth and adults to prepare them for employment, for advanced collegiate education, and for improved citizenship.
The State Board for Community Colleges is the governing body of the Virginia Community College System and is responsible for the effective administration of that institution and its constituent colleges and campuses. The Board is composed of fifteen members appointed by the Governor, subject to confirmation by the General Assembly if in session, and if not, at its next succeeding session. Appointments shall be for terms of four years.
Throughout 2013, the State Board for Community colleges held six regular meetings: January 17, March 21, May 16, July 18, September 19, and November 21. An Annual Meeting that included local College Board members, Foundation members, and VCCS Presidents was also held on November 19-20, 2013. Throughout the year, the State Board discussed issues related to five specific areas of responsibility: Academic and Workforce Development Services, Internal Audit, Budget and Finance, Facilities, and Personnel. In addition, the State Board received a report at each meeting regarding the Chancellor’s Goals related to the Achieve 2015 Strategic Plan and an update from the Reengineering Task Force.
Activities and policies enacted by the State Board for Community Colleges in 2013 include:
• Approval of tuition and fees for 2013-2014 (May 16, 2013 meeting) (http://www.vccs.edu/wp-content/uploads/2013/07/2013DraftSBMinutes5.pdf);
• Adoption of presidential, faculty, adjunct, and administrative salary scales for 2013-2014 (May 16, 2013 meeting) (http://www.vccs.edu/wp-content/uploads/2013/07/2013DraftSBMinutes5.pdf);
• Establishment and Approval of the Chancellor’s Goals for 2014 (May 16, 2013 meeting) (http://www.vccs.edu/wp-content/uploads/2013/07/2013DraftSBMinutes5.pdf);
• Approval of a Faculty Evaluations Policy in order to implement a new Faculty Development and Evaluation System (May 16, 2013 meeting) (http://www.vccs.edu/wp-content/uploads/2013/07/2013DraftSBMinutes5.pdf);
• Approval of the 2014-2020 Six-Year Academic and Financial Plan (July 18, 2013 meeting - (http://www.vccs.edu/wp-content/uploads/2013/11/2013JulySBFinalMinutes.pdf) and September 19, 2013 meeting - http://www.vccs.edu/wp-content/uploads/2013/11/September-2013FInalSBMinutes1.pdf);
• Approval of College Budgets for FY 2014 (July 18, 2013 meeting) (http://www.vccs.edu/wp-content/uploads/2013/11/2013JulySBFinalMinutes.pdf);
• Adoption of a Resolution that the Virginia Community College System is qualified to be and should be considered for an additional delegated operational authority at Level II for procurement (September 19, 2013 meeting) (http://www.vccs.edu/wp-content/uploads/2013/11/September-2013FInalSBMinutes1.pdf).
In addition, training for new members for the State Board for Community Colleges was offered on November 20, 2013.
Agenda materials and minutes from previous meetings and agendas for upcoming meetings of the State Board for Community Colleges may be found at: http://www.vccs.edu/about/where-we-are/state-board/.