- Report Published -
|Review of Post-election Audits of Voting Equipment|
|Joint Legislative Audit and Review Commission|
|SJR 328 (Regular Session, 2009)|
|Senate Joint Resolution 328 of the 2009 Regular Session directed the Joint Legislative Audit and Review Commission (JLARC) to study post-election audits of voting equipment. JLARC staff conducted preliminary research and identified study issues and methods consistent with the study mandate. Major research activities underway include:|
• Reviewing alternative procedures and processes for post-election audits;
• Working with the State Board of Elections and local general registrars and electoral boards to conduct several pilot post-election audits;
• Estimating the time requirements and costs of post-election audits;
• Reviewing the experience of post-election audits in other states;
• Considering the statistical confidence of different audit strategies; and
• Considering the changes that would be required in the Code of Virginia and procedures for different audit strategies to be effective.
JLARC staff provided an interim status briefing to the Commission in November 2009.