- Report Published -
|Virginia Department of Behavioral Health and Developmental Services Item 315 CC. 1 – Progress Report on the Plan and Timeline for Downsizing Southeastern Virginia Training Center - April 1, 2010|
|Department of Behavioral Health and Developmental Services|
|Appropriation Act - Item 315 CC.1. (Regular Session, 2009)|
|Item 315.CC.1 of the 2009 Appropriation Act requires the Commissioner of the Department of Behavioral Health and Developmental Services (DBHDS) (*1) to convene a state and community planning team and develop a timeline to transition, beginning in fiscal year 2010, 88 individuals living at Southeastern Virginia Training Center (SEVTC) to community services. The language is outlined below:|
“The state and community planning team, under the direction of the commissioner, shall develop a timeline to appropriately transition 88 state facility consumers beginning in fiscal year 2010 to community services in the locality of their residence prior to admission or the locality of their choice after discharge or to another state facility if individual assessments and service plans have been completed, appropriate community housing is available and consumer choice has been considered. The commissioner shall provide the preliminary plan and timeline to the Governor and the General Assembly by July 1, 2009 and a progress report regarding the plan for resizing and rebuilding the facility by October 1, 2009 and quarterly thereafter until the new facility and community facilities have been constructed and are complete. The final report shall outline the location where patients are discharged and any cost savings associated with the facility resizing and community transition.”
This report is an update to the July 1, 2009 preliminary plan and timeline to downsize SEVTC from its current census of 144 individuals beginning on July 1, 2010.
The 2009 General Assembly also required DGS with the cooperation and support of DBHDS to rebuild and resize SEVTC to 75 beds beginning in fiscal year 2010:
"C-103.05. A. Notwithstanding any other provision of law, the following provisions shall be implemented:
1. The Department of General Services (DGS), with the cooperation and support of the Department of Mental Health, Mental Retardation and Substance Abuse Services (DMHMRSAS), shall rebuild and resize the Southeastern Virginia Training Center to a 75-bed facility to serve profound and severely disabled clients;
2. The Director, Department of Planning and Budget, shall transfer $23,768,000 of the amount appropriated in Chapter 1 and Chapter 2, 2008 Acts of Assembly, Special Session I for project 17458 (Repair/Replace Southeastern Virginia Training Center) for the purpose stated in paragraph A.1. of this item;
3. The Department of General Services, with the cooperation and support of the Department of Mental Health, Mental Retardation and Substance Abuse Services (DMHMRSAS), shall build, acquire, or renovate 12 community-based Intermediate Care Facilities (ICF-MR) and 6 MR Homes in Health Planning Region V. Priority should be given to projects which can be completed on existing state-owned property within Health Planning Region V;
4. The Director, Department of Planning and Budget shall transfer $8,438,160 of the amount appropriated in Chapter 1 and Chapter 2, 2008 Acts of Assembly, Special Session I for project 17457, (Repair/Replace Central Virginia Training Center) for the purpose stated in paragraph A.3. of this item."
The plan outlined in Appendix A is an update to the original plan submitted on July 1, 2009 and measures the progress in meeting the expectations and goals outlined in the original plan. The plan seeks to reduce the number of individuals living at SEVTC from the current census of 144 to 75 or fewer individuals during the next two fiscal years, with significant completion of community and SEVTC construction on or before September 30, 2011. The three major components driving the preliminary plan and timeline are:
• Assessments of individuals residing at SEVTC and family choice;
• SEVTC and community housing construction; and
• Workforce transition.
Appendix A contains an update to the detailed plan and timelines to transition individuals to the community. The components and major milestones of the plan were developed in consultation with the state and community planning team referenced in Item 315.CC.1, known as the SEVTC Advisory Committee. The Advisory Committee has been meeting regularly each month since January 2009 and includes SEVTC facility staff, individuals living at SEVTC, family members, community services board (CSB) representatives, private providers, and other key stakeholders. (*2)
(*1) Formerly the Department of Mental Health, Mental Retardation, and Substance Abuse Services or DMHMRSAS.
(*2) Information about the Advisory Committee, members, and meeting minutes can be viewed at: http://www.dbhds.virginia.gov/10Budget/sevtc.htm